This program provides financial assistance to individuals affected by ectodermal dysplasias for the following items:
- Dentures for children
- Air Conditioners
- Cooling Vests
Since our funding is limited, priority is given to young people under the age of 21 for dentures. If funding is still available after June of 2017, adults needing dentures can apply for funding. Unfortunately, we are not able to fund complex dental care such as dental implants and orthodontia.
Items we will NOT pay for:
- Everyday necessities
- Electric bills
- Central air-conditioning
- Routine tooth cleaning.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Any individual who has a diagnosis of an ectodermal dysplasia and meets our income criteria is eligible to apply. We provide close to 100% grants for approved applications for families with income of less than $30,000; up to 75% of grants for approved applications for families with income of $30,000-$40,000; up to 50% of grants for families income of $40,000 – $50,000 per year. We deny funding to families of four with income in excess of $50,000 per year except in cases where cost of care exceeds 15% of annual income. In this case, care will not be funded at a level greater than 50%. We adjust any and all grants in these income levels when increased family size or extenuating circumstances exist. We can make adjustments based on individual circumstances.
- If you are receiving treatment at an NFED Dental Treatment Center, you can also apply to the Treatment Assistance Program if you meet the criteria.
- The program does not reimburse any patient for care already received.
- Individuals receiving funding for dental care or wigs can re-apply to the Treatment Assistance Program every 5 years from the date of payment.
- Individuals denied funding are eligible to reapply for funds during the next evaluation period.
How Much Funding is Available?
Each year, our Board of Directors determines the budget of the Treatment Assistance Program based on available funds. Because of the increasing number of applicants, rising dental care costs and limited NFED funds, we make awards to enable as many individuals as possible to receive care.
This means that the awards may not equal the request. We make every effort to fund care that will resolve the situation in the most economical way. All families are asked to contribute something to the cost of care, be it a wig, an air-conditioner or dental care as family income allows.
- Dentures – $5,000
- Wigs – $2,500
- Air Conditioners – $500
- Cooling Vests – $250
- Email or call the NFED at 618-566-2020 to request an application.
- Complete the application, and email or mail to the NFED office.
- We evaluate applications based on the following:
- Treatment needs
- Family income
- Any extenuating circumstances
- The number of individuals in the family who are affected by ectodermal dysplasia
- We will notify you by mail and by phone of your application status after it has been reviewed by the Executive Director and our Patient Care Council. Please allow 30 days for this process.
- If your application is approved for funding, we’ll make the payment directly to the care provider.
- If you have any questions, please contact the NFED at 618-566-2020.