By Lea Richardson
What for you may ask? We are pleased to announce that the NFED has been approved as an official Certifying Organization for The President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA). The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates the value of volunteer time to be $23.56 per hour. Our helping hands have made an immeasurable impact on the NFED and those affected by ectodermal dysplasias. The NFED can’t function without YOU being in our Helping Hands program and giving of your time to volunteer for us.
What is the PVSA?
The President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) is the premier volunteer awards program, encouraging citizens to live a life of service through presidential gratitude and national recognition. What you need to do to qualify for this prestigious award is to register using our unique Record of Service (ROS) key (KJF-6179), the link to connect our volunteers with our organization.
Of course, there are some criteria:
Individuals age 5 and up, families and groups that meet the criteria are eligible for the PVSA.
- You must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the US.
- PSVA only recognizes unpaid service hours, not financial or other in-kind contributions.
- Court-ordered community service does not qualify.
- Awards are issued for volunteer service hours to the NFED within a 12 month period or over the course of a lifetime. Our 12 month period is June 1st through May 31st.
- Children under 14 need permission from a parent/guardian to create or register their online volunteer profile. As a safety measure, a parent/guardian’s email address is part of the application process and acknowledging consent will be sent to this email address.
The awards are offered in multiple levels and are designed to recognize each milestone of your service to the NFED. Levels included bronze, silver, gold and the highest honor, the President’s Lifetime Achievement Award for those who contribute more than 4,000 hours of service in their lifetime.
Hours by Award Bronze Silver Gold
Kids (age 5-10) 26-49 50-74 75+
Teens (age 11-15) 50-74 75-99 100+
Young Adults (age 16-25) 100-174 175-249 250+
Adults (age 26 and older) 100-249 250-499 500+
Families and Groups 200-499 500-999 1,000+
In turn the NFED will:
- Verify the volunteer hours required to earn the award for the NFED.
- Verify volunteers are US citizens or lawfully admitted permanent US residents.
- Pay a nominal fee for the presidential recognition: a personalized certificate, an official pin and a congratulatory letter from the president of the United States.
- Receive and distribute the awards package to volunteers at a special time/place.
Presidential recognition sets you apart from your peers. It is a tremendous honor. Even though you may not seek recognition, your example can deliver a powerful message that encourages others to take action and join our Helping Hands program. It really looks good on a resume, or college/trade school application as well as financial assistance to attend a college/trade school.
If you need any other info about the PVSA, contact Lea at email@example.com or 618-566-6871.
Other Blogs you may be interested in:
- Dear NFED volunteers
- Need to be Needed? Beverly Meier’s Response?
- Why I Volunteer for NFED! My Son and others like him!